|Fujifilm GF 30mm F5.6 tilt/shift lens.|
Fujifilm has announced the GF30mm F5.6 T/S and GF110mm F5.6 T/S Macro: the first tilt/shift lenses developed exclusively for mirrorless cameras.
The GF 30mm F5.6 T/S is a 23.6mm equivalent tilt-shift lens ideal for architecture work, while the 110mm F5.6 T/S Macro is an 85mm equiv lens that lends itself more to product photography. As is normal with tilt/shift lenses, both are manual focus designs.
Both lenses are designed to deliver 85mm diameter image circles, allowing ±15mm shift. It can then tilt by ±8.5°. Both the tilt and shift mechanisms can be independently rotated by 90 degrees, allowing tilt or shift when shooting portrait or landscape with the choice of whether the tilt and shift operate in the same orientation. Both lenses include tilt and shift sensors, which report back the position of the lens to the camera (currently only supported by the GFX 100 II but with firmware expected for other models).
The 30mm T/S includes three molded glass elements and three ED lenses, including one Super ED element, designed to correct distortion and CA without the need for software correction. It features both Nano GI and Nano lens coatings to keep ghosting and flare under control, and a screw-in front ring can be removed to add a large hood to further reduce unwanted flare.
The 110mm F5.6 T/S Macro features 11 elements in 9 groups, including one aspherical element and two ED elements. Despite the ‘Macro’ branding, the lens gives a maximum magnification of 0.5x at its 0.43m (16.9″) minimum focus distance.
The GF30mm F5.6 T/S will have a recommended price of $3999, while the GF110mm F5.6 T/S Macro will retail for around $3499.
Fujifilm Unveils Eagerly Anticipated Tilt-Shift Lenses for its GFX System of Mirrorless Digital Cameras
VALHALLA, N.Y., September 12, 2023 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of two highly anticipated tilt-shift lenses for its GFX System of mirrorless digital cameras FUJINON GF30mmF5.6 T/S lens (GF30mmF5.6 T/S) and FUJINON Lens GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro lens (GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro). These new lenses, designed for GFX System’s 55mm large-format sensor1, cater to the demands of professional photographers that need the ability to adjust for parallax, distortion, and focus.
“The introduction of tilt shift lenses for GFX System opens doors for architectural, product, and commercial photographers to use a native G Mount lens for the first time with their GFX System cameras,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Device Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “This means that GFX System users will finally be able to achieve optimal image quality because these lenses are specifically designed to make the most of GFX System’s 55mm imaging sensor.”
FUJINON GF30mmF5.6 T/S Lens
GF30mmF5.6 T/S is a wide-angle, tilt-shift lens with a 30mm focal length (35mm equivalent focal length of 24mm). This lens delivers exceptional image resolution, effectively suppresses ghosting, and is ideal for landscape and architectural photography, since tilt and shift adjustments can be made based on the specific needs of the location.
Advanced optics designed to minimize various forms of aberration while delivering exceptional image-resolving performance
- GF30mmF5.6 T/S consists of 16 lens elements in 11 groups, including 3 aspherical elements,2 extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and 1 Super ED element. Its expanded configuration features the use of a large aperture aspherical, front element as well as 3 ED elements, providing advanced optics designed to eliminate the need for electronically correcting distortion and lateral chromatic aberration. Spherical aberration, comatic aberration and field curvature are suppressed to achieve edge- to-edge sharpness even during shifting.
- The use of Fujifilm’s unique Nano GI coating technology controls refractive index on the lens surface to inhibit unnecessary light reflection and to reduce ghosting and flare, which are typically seen in wide-angle lenses.
Tilting and shifting mechanisms work in conjunction with GFX System’s large format sensor
- Tilting of ±8.5° and shifting of up to ±15mm adjust the position of the focal plane and angle of perspective for the user. Rotation adjustments within ±90° can also be combined with parallel or perpendicular tilt and shift adjustments, to give a high level of flexibility in accounting for the needs of the scene.
The lens has a built-in sensor that measures changes, in degrees, to shift or rotation. Changes can be monitored in Live View and are recorded to the image file’s metadata for reference during RAW processing2.
Compact design enhances ease of image making
- GF30mmF5.6 T/S has a total image circle that is approximately 85mm in diameter. It weighs approximately 2.95 lbs (1,340g) and is just 5.5 inches (138.5mm) in length, due to an efficient lens design that incorporates 16 lens elements in 11 groups, including aspherical elements and ED elements. A large aperture aspherical element is also used as the front element to achieve a 105mm filter thread3, which is a common filter thread for landscape photography.
- GF30mmF5.6 T/S is equipped with a custom-designed tripod collar. Even during shifting, the collar helps maintain the subject’s position in relation to the lens to prevent parallax and facilitates accurate stitching of multiple images.
FUJINON GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro Lens
GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro is a mid-telephoto, tilt-shift macro lens with a 110mm focal length (equivalent 35mm focal length of 87mm) and a maximum magnification factor of 0.5x. Designed to optimally suppress various types of aberrations, including distortion and lateral chromatic aberration, with its 110mm focal length, this lens delivers incredible levels of image resolution and is ideal for commercial photography, particularly for still-life subjects.
Optical design that produces incredible image sharpness
- GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro consists of 11 lens elements in 9 groups, including 1 aspherical element and 2 ED elements. The aspherical element controls comatic aberration and field curvature, while the ED elements minimize axial chromatic aberration. Furthermore, the lens configuration, with the aperture midway, suppresses distortion and lateral chromatic aberration to achieve edge-to-edge sharpness without relying on electronic correction.
- The maximum magnification factor is 0.5x and total control of the focus plane can be achieved by adjusting the lens tilt when it is close to the subject. This is a feature that is extremely useful in both commercial photography and in still-life applications.
Tilting and shifting mechanisms that maximize benefits of the large format sensor
- The ability to tilt up to ±10° and to shift up to ±15mm allows the focal plane position and angle of perspective to be adjusted as needed in real time. Rotation adjustments within ±90° can also be combined with parallel or perpendicular tilt and shift adjustments, to give a high level of flexibility in accounting for the needs of the scene.
- GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro has a built-in sensor that measures changes, in degrees, to shift or rotation. As with GF30mmF5.6 T/S. changes can be monitored in Live View and are recorded to the image file’s metadata for reference during RAW processing4
Compact design enhances ease of image-making
- GF110mmF5.6 TS MACRO has a 72mm filter thread and measures 5.9 inches (149mm) and weighs 2.77 lbs. (1,255g). It also uses extends the front lens group during focusing to keep the overall lens size compact.
Pricing and Availability
The FUJIFILM FUJINON GF30mmF5.6 T/S and GF110mmF5.6 T/S Macro lenses are each expected to be available in Fall 2023 at Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices of $3,999.95 USD ($5399.99 CDN) and $3,499.95 USD ($4,724.99 CDN) respectively.
For more information on these new GF tilt-shift lenses, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en- us/products/lenses/gf30mmf56-ts/ and https://fujifilm-x.com/en- us/products/lenses/gf110mmf56-ts-macro/.
1 A large format sensor is an image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm) with an area approximately 1.7 times that of a customary, 35mm full-frame sensor.
2 The “Live View” and metadata recording function is available when used with the FUJIFILM GFX100 II digital camera. For use with the FUJIFILM GFX100, GFX100S, GFX50S II, GFX 50S and GFX 50R digital cameras, download of a hereafter available Fujifilm firmware update will be required.
3 Use of the supplied adapter ring is required in order to use a 105mm filter.
4 The “Live View” and metadata recording function is available when used with the FUJIFILM GFX100 II digital camera. For use with the FUJIFILM GFX100, GFX100S, GFX50S II, GFX 50S and GFX 50R digital cameras, download of a hereafter available Fujifilm firmware update will be required.