An AI super powered natural language based chatbot called ChatGPT has been the talk of the tech world since the last few days. Its capabilities are blowing everyone’s mind. And this is genuinely scaring some people.
As AI systems like ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion continue to awe some of the leading practitioners, it’s important to recognize some of the key challenges the world may face as a result of the development and proliferation of AI.
- Job displacement: As AI systems become more advanced, they will be able to perform many tasks that are currently performed by humans. This is likely to lead to widespread job displacement, particularly in industries where manual labor is currently a significant part of the workforce. Organizations will increasingly have to have AI Ethics board that studies the adoption, implementation and consequence management with all things related to organzational AI.
- Bias and discrimination: AI systems are only as good as the data they are trained on, and if this data is biased, then the AI system is also likely to be biased. This could lead to AI systems making decisions that are unfair or discriminatory.
- Security and privacy concerns: As AI systems become more widespread, there will be an increased need for security and privacy controls to protect sensitive data and prevent unauthorized access to AI systems.
- Economic disruption: The widespread adoption of AI will lead to significant economic disruption, particularly in industries heavily impacted by the technology. This could create winners and losers in the economy, and could lead to inequality and social unrest.
- Loss of control: As AI systems become more advanced, there is a risk that they could become difficult or impossible for humans to understand or control. This could lead to unforeseen and potentially dangerous consequences if an AI system were to malfunction or operate in a way that is not aligned with human values.
- Ethical concerns: The development and use of AI raises a number of ethical concerns, including the question of whether it is ethical to create AI systems that can make decisions that affect people’s lives. There are also questions about the ethical implications of creating AI systems that are capable of surpassing human intelligence.
AI systems will get better as they evolve. This will mean the AI and its challenges continue to increase. What will truly determine its usefulness is the cost-benefit analysis not just from an economic perspective but also societal and moral.